Monday, April 23, 2007

Iris Blooms at The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Praise for Iris: Thank you so much for being our "Iris". You are delightful, engaging, beautiful, talented and whimsical! I loved conversing with you these past few months and was charmed upon meeting you. Our "Open House" was a huge success and lots of the credit goes to you.
- Susan Fink, Open House Chair, Museum of Fine Arts Boston

The Wandering Iris Exhibit at Art in Bloom
photos by Liam Breck

"Oh, you're so beautiful," ladies say as I bow gently, letting my long leaf tickle their toes. I'm gracious and graceful as a life-sized Iris flower roving at Art in Bloom. My glittery cheeks peek out from my sculpted purple headdress, designed and hand-crafted by Liam Breck and myself. This beloved 31st annual exhibit at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts invites floral designers and garden clubs to respond in flowers to artworks all around the museum.

Every room is filled with ladies in pastels who know their flora. I jest softly, "My name is Iris," and receive giggles and knowing fun looks. I travel the expansive corridors, a flirty flower taking a tour of the world through the arts of India, China, the Renaissance, and Africa. I dance with children to a barbershop quartet, fondly befriend ladies and their gentlemen, make silly serenades to diners in the museum's two restaurants, and ride the escalators in strong statuesque poses. I name myself the "Wandering Iris Exhibit." Visitors see me again in other parts of the museum and grin, waving and calling to me, "Hello, Iris!"

No comments: