Saturday, June 02, 2007

Clown Stops Traffic at Chelsea Day

Over & Under the Rainbow
photos by Liam Breck

Looking dapper in my red and black velvet hat, I enthusiastically shake hands with over 100 people of all ages in one hour. I could be running for office at Celebrate Chelsea Day! I befriend the public in a shoe store, a hair salon, and at a bus stop. I even give a short speech to a group of young marines. Later, I actually do my civil service, helping a traffic cop with my clown's version of waving cars by . . . by waving hello!

Some of the children recognize me from last year and excitedly ask for another parade. I unfurl my new rainbow parachute and pass around shakers, clackers and bells. We parade across the pavement, a rhythm rainbow circling amused parents and friends. Then, I gather my small band under my pretty parachute and introduce whole body peek-a-boo. Each time we fling off our parachute, we try another child's idea, "Jump!" "Turn Around!" "Wiggle!"

Giggles & Wiggles

No comments: