Saturday, June 16, 2007

River Spirit Revels at Chelsea Creek

Can You Name My Pet Fish?
photos by Liam Breck

"Bob. . . the Fish!" Kids and adults are brainstorming funny names for my 'pet' fish, a shiny mitten puppet accenting the teal river costume I've fashioned with Liam Breck. At the 4th annual River Revel, I'm sparkly as the Spirit of the Chelsea Creek. I encourage everyone to pet my fish and some children say its smooth, slippery fabric feels like a real fish. Some adults say it looks tasty!

Chelsea Creek is a waterway between East Boston and Chelsea used for transporting oil tankers. Once a year, its Meridian Street drawbridge closes to trucks and teems with musicians and community arts and advocacy groups. Changing to stilts, I join a parade of families waving tall fish and singing an environmental message: "See Green, Hear Green, Speak Green!"



Fish Names
Karl
Bob
Buster
Ben
Shimmery
Fishy
Mr. Swimmy
Fish
Nemo
Vladimir
Yuliana
Fluffy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd fit right in at Burning Man! Have you ever attended? The theme this year is the "Green Man" -

Barbara Ann Michaels said...

Yes, I feel at home at Burning Man! How did you find me?

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Barbara! this is Joanna (White) Curtis from Brown. :)

Like the previous poster (daisy), I have friends who go to Burning Man every year, and some of them do very large, unique art installation projects. I also recall hearing them talk about giant costumes that involved multiple sets of stilts. Their real world names are JD and Logan - sound familiar at all? They did the Chasm installation that won some awards in 2004.

I'd love to hear more about what you're doing. If you have time, write to me at "joanna dot curtis at OGM dot com" and let me know how you're doing. Brent, Brian and Derek say hi!

Barbara Ann Michaels said...

Joanna! So glad you found me! Yes, I'm charting my course as an interactive improvisational performer as well as writing and performing my own shows. I remember making videos at Brown an putting Brian and others on camera . . . it was just a matter of time before I went back out onstage myself! Hugs to you, Brent, Brian, and Derek. Hopefully I'll be out to LA for a show or a gig soon!